SIU Investigates Injuries Sustained by Cyclist in Toronto
Case Number: 13-TVI-042
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TVI-042
Mississauga (14 February, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 22-year-old woman in Toronto, yesterday.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 4:30 p.m. on Wednesday, February 13, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers observed a driver traveling northbound on Bathurst Street in a silver Infiniti, and pulled him over south of Queen Street West.
• As officers approached the vehicle on foot, the Infiniti drove off, turning eastbound on Queen Street. The Infiniti continued traveling eastbound, and at the corner of Queen Street and Augusta Avenue, it was struck by a civilian vehicle. The Infiniti lost control, and crashed into a female cyclist.
• The cyclist was taken to St. Michael’s Hospital for treatment of a broken leg. The 24-year-old driver of the Infiniti fled the scene on foot, but was apprehended soon after. He was taken to Toronto Western Hospital for treatment of a jaw injury. An occupant from the vehicle that collided with the Infiniti was also taken to hospital with a shoulder injury.
The SIU has assigned five investigators, two forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342