SIU Investigates Injuries in Oshawa
Case Number: 13-OVI-131
(9 June, 2013) ---
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained this morning in Oshawa by three individuals - a 39-year-old male, 27-year-old male and a 32-year-old female.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 2:50 a.m. on Sunday, June 9, 2013, officers with the Durham Regional Police Service attempted to stop a vehicle in the area of King Street West and Park Road;
• The vehicle did not stop, and fled the area. Police followed;
• A short time later, the civilian vehicle struck three pedestrians at King Street West and Stevenson Road. All three sustained injuries and were taken to Lakeridge Health for treatment. The female sustained a broken hand and internal injuries. The 39-year-old male was airlifted to St. Michael’s Hospital in critical condition – he sustained an arm fracture and internal injuries. The 27-year-old male sustained soft tissue injuries and head injuries
The SIU has assigned six investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-641-1872 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1872.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342