SIU Investigates Firearm Death in Aurora
Case Number: 14-OFD-086
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OFD-086
Mississauga (13 April, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the firearm death of a 22 year old man in Aurora.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• On Saturday, April 12, 2014, at approximately 9:00 p.m. officers with the York Regional Police interacted with a 22 year old man in Aurora, Ont;
• Officers discharged their firearms;
• The man was taken to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre in Toronto where his death was pronounced.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1898 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1898.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342