SIU Investigates Fatal Police Shooting in Brampton
Case Number: 14-OFD-215
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OFD-215
Mississauga (25 September, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal police shooting in Brampton that occurred on Wednesday September 24th, 2014 on Queen Street near Kennedy Road.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- Peel Regional Police officers in a marked police cruiser stopped a motor vehicle on Queen Street east of Kennedy Road in Brampton at approximately 10:04 PM for investigation.
- There was an interaction between one of the occupants of the vehicle and the police.
- An officer discharged his firearm and the male person was taken to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
Six investigators and three forensic investigators have been assigned to investigate this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342