SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting in Port Perry
Case Number: 16-OFD-014
- Around 9:20 p.m. on Saturday, January 16, Durham Regional Police attended a house on Waterbury Crescent in Canterbury Golf Club.
- Police encountered a 59-year-old man.
- There was an interaction and the man was shot.
- The man was transported to hospital, where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342