SIU Called Following Arrest Involving Toronto Emergency Task Force Officers
Case Number: 16-TCI-034
- Around 7:15 p.m. on Saturday, February 6, 2016, Toronto Police officers attended a rooming house on Warden Avenue just north of Danforth Avenue. The officers were investigating an assault.
- There, the officers located an injured 58-year-old man. He was transported to hospital.
- Emergency Task Officers attended the scene, and around 1:00 a.m. this morning, officers entered a room inside the rooming house. Two conducted energy weapons (CEWs) were deployed.
- A 27-year-old man was arrested and transported to hospital with a leg injury.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342