SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in St. Catharines
Case Number: 19-OFD-313
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OFD-313
- At approximately 4:45 p.m. on December 31, 2019, Niagara Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to an address on 71 Rykert Street in St. Catharines after receiving a call regarding a man with a knife.
- Officers located the man, and there was an interaction.
- Two officers discharged their firearms and the man was struck multiple times.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342