SIU Investigating Fatal Vehicle Collision in Markham
Case Number: 19-OVD-314
Other News Releases Related to Case 19-OVD-314
- At approximately 7:15 p.m. on December 31, 2019, a York Regional Police officer was driving along Major Mackenzie Drive East when – in the area of Kennedy Road – a Hyundai Veloster drove past her.
- The officer proceeded to follow the vehicle.
- In the area of Ninth Line and Elgin Mills Road East, the Veloster became involved in a collision with a Toyota Corolla.
- The 68-year-old male driver of the Corolla was pronounced dead at the scene.
- The driver of the Veloster sustained no serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342