SIU Investigating Death of Man in Windsor
Case Number: 20-OOD-002
- At approximately 8:30 p.m. on January 3, 2020, a vehicle was reported stolen from the area of Ottawa Street and Gladstone Avenue.
- A Windsor Police Service officer located the vehicle and followed it. In the area of Wyandotte Street and Church Street, the vehicle struck a parking sign.
- Two occupants from the vehicle fled on foot, with the driver being arrested quickly. The vehicle passenger – a 51-year-old man – made his way to a rooming house on Pelissier Street where he went into medical distress. An individual reported this, resulting in police and EMS attending the address.
- The man was pronounced dead at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342