SIU Investigating Death of Man in Alfred
Case Number: 20-PCD-035
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-035
- At approximately 11 a.m. on February 11, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police officers attended a residence on Devista Boulevard to assist court officials.
- Officers spoke to a man in the home. After the man informed officers he was in possession of guns, the officers left the home and set out to contain the area.
- Suddenly, the house erupted into flames.
- When the fire was extinguished, the man’s body was located in the basement. He was found deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342