SIU Investigating Man’s Fall from Apartment Balcony in Oakville
Case Number: 20-OCI-039
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCI-039
- At approximately 4 a.m. on February 16, 2020, Halton Regional Police Service officers attended an address in the area of Speers Road and Kerr Street to investigate a dispute with a cab driver.
- Shortly after the officers were allowed entry into a 2nd floor apartment unit, a 40-year-old man fled to the balcony.
- He fell from the balcony to the ground below.
- The man was transported to Hamilton General Hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342