SIU Investigating Collision in Toronto Between Police Cruiser and Civilian Vehicle
Case Number: 20-TVI-084
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TVI-084
- At approximately 11:30 a.m. on April 13, 2020, a Toronto Police Service officer was traveling westbound on Sheppard Avenue West en route to a call. Another officer was in the vehicle with him.
- In the Sheppard Avenue West and Allen Road intersection, the cruiser became involved in a collision with a civilian vehicle.
- The driver of the civilian vehicle – a 63-year-old man – sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital for treatment.
- Both officers who were in the cruiser were also taken to hospital for treatment. At this time, the extent of their injuries is unknown.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342