SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in Scarborough
Case Number: 20-TFI-087
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TFI-087
- Shortly after midnight on April 15, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were dispatched to an apartment building on Greenbrae Circuit regarding a disturbance.
- Officers made their way up to the corridor of the 4th floor where they encountered the 43-year-old man.
- There was an interaction that included one officer deploying a conducted energy weapon and another officer deploying his less-lethal shotgun.
- A third officer then discharged his firearm, resulting in the man being struck.
- The man was transported to hospital for treatment of injuries. He is in serious but not life-threatening condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342