SIU Investigating Death of Man in Victoria Harbour
Case Number: 20-PCD-113
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-113
- Around 6:15 p.m. on May 20, 2020, 911 received a call from the man seeking assistance.
- Shortly after, Ontario Provincial Police officers arrived at the man’s home to check on his well-being.
- Officers knocked on the front door. When they received no response, they made their way to the back of the house where they located the man seated in a chair in the driveway.
- As the officers approached the man, the man discharged his firearm and he sustained a gunshot wound. He was transported by ambulance to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342