Update: SIU Investigation into Fatal Brampton Collision
Case Number: 20-OVD-142
- Five investigators, three forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist from the SIU have been assigned to the case.
- One subject officer and one witness officer – both from Peel Regional Police – have been designated.
- More than one dozen civilian witnesses have been interviewed, and video footage from various sources has been retrieved.
- At the scene, roadway evidence was collected and measurements were taken. The subject officer’s cruiser will be examined for data.
- A 20-year-old man in another vehicle was seriously injured. He remains in hospital in serious condition. As the SIU does not have consent, his name will not be released at this time.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342