SIU Investigating Police-Involved Shooting in York Region
Case Number: 20-OFI-202
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OFI-202
- On August 17, 2020 at approximately 9:30 am, York Regional Police Service officers were dispatched to Bakersfield Park in Vaughan for a man armed with a weapon.
- Officers attended the park and located the man.
- There was an interaction and an officer deployed a conducted energy weapon.
- The man fled into the park and uniformed officers, along with members of the Emergency Response Unit (ERU) attended.
- There was a second interaction with the man and an ERU member discharged another CEW, along with an Arwen (Anti-Riot Weapon Enfield).
- The man was apprehended under the Mental Health Act and transported to Mackenzie Health in Richmond Hill.
- He was examined and was found to have a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Michael Webber, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342