SIU Investigating After Man Goes Missing in Ottawa River
Case Number: 20-PCD-208
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-208
- At approximately 7:15 p.m. on August 22, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers located the man at a marina on the Ottawa River in Clarence-Rockland. Officers had been attempting to locate the man who was believed to have eloped from a hospital.
- Soon after, the man jumped into the river. An officer jumped in as well to help the man, but the man could not be found. Ottawa Fire Service’s marine unit responded to assist, but this was to no avail.
- Efforts to search for the man continue today.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342