SIU Investigating Arrest of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCI-215
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCI-215
- On August 29, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were in the area of Eglinton Avenue West and Oakwood Avenue while a rally was taking place.
- At approximately 8 p.m., officers were made aware of a man jumping on cars. An interaction ensued between the man and officers, including an officer deploying a conducted energy weapon.
- The 33-year-old man was arrested and transported to hospital for treatment. The Unit is awaiting confirmation on the nature of the man’s injuries.
- As a result of the altercation, several officers were injured.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342