SIU Investigating Falling Death of Man in Newmarket
Case Number: 20-OCD-216
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-216
- At approximately 7 p.m. on August 30, 2020, an individual called 911 to report that a man was causing a disturbance at the No Frills grocery store located in the area of Yonge Street and Davis Drive.
- When York Regional Police officers arrived, the man was standing on a ledge approximately 9 metres from the ground in the parking lot area. The perimeter was contained.
- A short time later, the man fell to the ground below.
- He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342