SIU Investigating Death of Man in Elgin County
Case Number: 20-PCD-217
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-217
- On August 28, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers attended the man’s home to check on his well-being. The man was transported to hospital.
- On August 31, 2020, OPP officers returned to the man’s home to check on his well-being at the request of family members. No one responded, but officers heard the volume of music increase. The officers eventually left.
- The following day, police were asked again to check on the man’s well-being as he hadn’t shown up for work. When the man didn’t answer the door, officers forced entry into the home.
- The man was located, deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342