SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting of Man in Collingwood
Case Number: 20-PFD-225
- Shortly after 12:30 p.m. on September 9, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers attended a residence on Third Street for a report of a barricaded man.
- As officers were setting up the perimeter, the man exited the residence. He was in possession of a firearm.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, with one officer deploying his conducted energy weapon. When this proved to be ineffective, the same officer discharged his firearm at the man.
- The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342