SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Struck by Police Vehicle in Midland
Case Number: 20-PVD-243
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PVD-243
- Shortly after midnight on September 29, 2020, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating an unmarked police vehicle northbound on Highway 12 in Midland.
- As the officer approached the intersection of Jones Road, the vehicle struck a man who was crossing the road.
- The officer provided first aid until Emergency Medical Services took over care of the man. However, the man succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342