SIU Investigating Man’s Fatal Fall from Apartment Window in Ottawa
Case Number: 20-OCD-256
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-256
- At approximately 9 a.m. on October 7, 2020, Ottawa Police Service officers attended an apartment building located at 2020 Jasmine Crescent to execute a search warrant.
- Soon after the officers breached the door of an apartment unit on the 12th floor, a man fell from the window to the ground below.
- Medical aid was provided to the man. However, he succumbed to his injuries and was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342