SIU Investigating Interaction Preceding Man’s Fall from Bridge in Kitchener
Case Number: 20-PCI-266
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCI-266
- At approximately 10:15 p.m. on October 13, 2020, the Ontario Provincial Police received a call regarding a man running on Highway 8 near the Fairway Road exit.
- Officers were dispatched to the area, and one of the officers located the man. A brief struggle ensued before the man managed to flee on foot.
- Shortly after, the man fell from a bridge to the ground approximately 12 metres below.
- The man was airlifted to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342