SIU Investigating Arrest in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCI-277
- At approximately 12:30 a.m. on October 21, 2020, members of the Toronto Police Service Emergency Task Force executed a search warrant at an apartment located on The Donway East.
- Upon entering a unit on the 7th floor, the officers were met with gunfire.
- The officers backed out of the unit and took cover until the shooting stopped.
- The officers then re-entered the apartment and arrested eight occupants. All were taken to the police station.
- When one of the individuals – a 19-year-old man – complained of pain, he was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342