October 23, 2020 Update into SIU Investigation in Ottawa
Case Number: 20-OCD-256
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-256
- Each of the nine officers designated as witness officers have now been interviewed.
- Four civilian witnesses have been interviewed thus far and more interviews are pending.
- Video footage relevant to the incident has been obtained.
- SIU Forensic Investigators have processed exhibits.
- The SIU’s Affected Persons Program continues to be actively involved.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342