SIU Investigating After Police Officer Shoots Man in Timmins
Case Number: 20-OFI-289
- At approximately 1:45 a.m. on October 31, 2020, Timmins Police Service officers were dispatched to a break and enter in progress at a residence on Commercial Avenue.
- Upon arrival, officers observed two men get into a vehicle with a female driver, and the vehicle fled the scene. The officers, in separate cruisers, intercepted the vehicle in the area of Rae Avenue and Bannerman Avenue. The officers demanded that the vehicle occupants exit the vehicle.
- When a struggle ensued between one of the men and one of the officers, the second officer came to assist. The man then proceeded to shoot at the second officer, resulting in the first officer then discharging his firearm. The man was struck.
- He was taken to a local hospital for treatment of serious injuries, and then airlifted to another hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342