SIU Investigating After Man Dies Following Fall from Toronto Overpass
Case Number: 20-TCD-293
- At approximately 4:15 p.m. on November 2, 2020, the Toronto Police Service received a call regarding a man in distress in the area of Dundas Street East and Bayview Avenue.
- Officers located the man on the Dundas Street East overpass, above the Don River and Don Valley Parkway.
- Attempts were made to negotiate with the man, but at approximately 7:30 p.m., the man fell from the overpass to the ground below.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342