SIU Investigating Death in York
Case Number: 20-TCD-305
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-TCD-305
- At approximately 6:15 a.m. on November 13, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building located at 4033 Old Dundas Street after several 911 calls reported that a man was acting in an agitated manner.
- In the apartment building’s basement hallway, officers located the man who was unresponsive. He was handcuffed.
- Firefighters, who had also been dispatched, provided first aid to the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342