SIU Investigating Death of Man near Little Current
Case Number: 20-PCD-326
(28 November, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of a 43-year-old man in Little Current, located on Manitoulin Island.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 10:45 p.m. on November 27, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were dispatched to a home in the area of Little Current in regard to a domestic incident. They had information that a man had possession of a weapon and had barricaded himself in a residence.
• Officers contained the area and made attempts to contact the man.
• Some time later, officers entered the residence and located the man. He had sustained a gunshot wound. The man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
Based on the preliminary information, the gunshot wound is believed to have been self-inflicted. Three investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to the case.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342