SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Sault Ste. Marie Arrest
Case Number: 20-OCI-335
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCI-335
- At approximately 6 a.m. on December 3, 2020, Sault Ste. Marie Police Service officers were dispatched to the area of Wellington Street East and Pilgrim Street after receiving a report of a man pushing a motorcycle along Wellington Street.
- When officers arrived, they located the man sitting on the motorcycle. Further investigation revealed that the man was wanted on an outstanding warrant.
- As officers attempted to apprehend the man, a struggle ensued.
- The man was arrested and transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342