SIU Investigating Collision in Brampton
Case Number: 20-OVI-352
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OVI-352
- Shortly after midnight on December 16, 2020, an individual contacted 911 to report that a cube van was being driven erratically on Rutherford Road South.
- Peel Regional Police officers were dispatched and soon after located the vehicle of interest in the area of Rutherford Road South and Steeles Avenue East. They commenced following the vehicle.
- In the area of Kennedy Road North and Church Street East, the vehicle became involved in a collision with a police cruiser. The vehicle driver did not stop.
- On Kennedy Road North and Williams Parkway, the vehicle made contact with a second cruiser, mounted the grass medium and struck a cement barrier.
- The 33-year-old male driver of the vehicle was taken to hospital where he is in critical condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342