SIU Concludes Tamworth Death Investigation
Case Number: 14-PCD-050
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PCD-050
- The police were on the search for the man. He was reported to have killed another man and shot a firefighter in the arm in the Town of Tamworth before taking flight in a red pick-up truck north on County Road 15.
- The subject officer drove north on County Road 15 and eventually came upon the pick-up truck. The truck was stationary and positioned in the centre of the road facing south.
- At approximately 5:25 p.m., the subject officer exited his cruiser armed with a C8 rifle and approached the pick-up truck. As he neared the vehicle, he could tell that it was empty.
- The subject officer was half way between his cruiser and the pick-up truck when he heard a single gunshot sounding like it was coming from east of the truck.
- The officer retreated to his cruiser and took cover behind his driver’s door.
- Other officers soon arrived at the scene. The area was secured and a command centre established several hundred metres south of the pick-up truck. It was decided that a canine unit accompanied by Tactical Response Unit officers would be deployed to search for the man.
- At about 6:30 p.m., four witness officers and a police dog made their way into the bushes east of the pick-up truck. A set of footprints leading from the truck towards the field in that direction had been discovered in the snow.
- At about 6:40 p.m., one of the officers came across the man’s body.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342