SIU Started an Investigation into Arrest of an Ottawa Man, Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 16-OCD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-193
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is examining the circumstances surrounding the arrest of a 37-year-old man in Ottawa.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
- Around 9:30 a.m. this morning, Ottawa Police officers were called to the area of Wellington Street West and Fairmont Avenue for reports of a man causing a disturbance.
- Officers responded and located a 37-year-old man. Shortly after, there was a confrontation outside 55 Hilda Street.
- At some point during the confrontation, the man suffered medical distress.
- He was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital. He is currently listed in critical condition.
Five investigators and one forensic investigator have been assigned to investigate this incident.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have witnessed the incident to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342