SIU Started an Investigation into Arrest of an Ottawa Man, Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 16-OCD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-193
- Around 9:30 a.m. this morning, Ottawa Police officers were called to the area of Wellington Street West and Fairmont Avenue for reports of a man causing a disturbance.
- Officers responded and located a 37-year-old man. Shortly after, there was a confrontation outside 55 Hilda Street.
- At some point during the confrontation, the man suffered medical distress.
- He was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital. He is currently listed in critical condition.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jason Gennaro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-641-1863 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 1863