SIU Started an Investigation into Arrest of an Ottawa Man, Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 16-OCD-193
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OCD-193
- Around 9:30 a.m. this morning, Ottawa Police officers were called to the area of Wellington Street West and Fairmont Avenue for reports of a man causing a disturbance.
- Officers responded and located a 37-year-old man. Shortly after, there was a confrontation outside 55 Hilda Street.
- At some point during the confrontation, the man suffered medical distress.
- He was transported to Ottawa Civic Hospital. He is currently listed in critical condition.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations