SIU Investigating After Police Officers Discharge ARWENs on Georgian Bay
Case Number: 22-PFP-138
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-PFP-138
- On May 28, 2022, police became aware of a man on a boat on the Georgian Bay who was in possession of firearms.
- Officers with the OPP Marine Unit, Tactics and Rescue Unit and Emergency Response Team located the 72-year-old man, and an interaction ensued.
- Officers discharged their ARWENs in the direction of the man’s boat, and the man was apprehended and taken to hospital. He was not diagnosed with any serious injury.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES