SIU Investigates Vehicle Injury in Cambridge
Case Number: 11-OVI-265
Other News Releases Related to Case 11-OVI-265
Mississauga (27 December, 2011) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the injuries sustained by a man in Cambridge last night.
On December 27, 2011, the Waterloo Regional Police Service (WRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 10:30 pm on Monday, December 26, 2011, citizens reported a vehicle being operated in a dangerous manner in Cambridge;
• Officers responded and the vehicle fled the scene;
• Officers followed the vehicle on George St in Cambridge;
• A short distance later, the vehicle struck a concrete light standard on George St N near Parkhill Rd and the driver was ejected from the vehicle;
• The driver was taken to hospital and treated for his injuries.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jack Coruzzi, Jack.Coruzzi@ontario.ca
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342