SIU Investigates Vehicle Injuries in Orillia
Case Number: 12-PVD-074
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-PVD-074
Mississauga (14 March, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is investigating the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained yesterday by 85-year-old David A. Nesbitt in Orillia.
The SIU was notified by the Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) that:
• At approximately 4:45 p.m. on Tuesday, March 13, 2012, Mr. Nesbitt, who was on a bicycle, was struck by an unmarked police vehicle being driven by an OPP officer. The incident occurred on Atherley Road near Gill Street.
• Mr. Nesbitt was taken to Soldier's Memorial Hospital and then air lifted to Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of injuries. He remains in hospital in critical condition.
Five investigators, two forensic investigators and one collision reconstructionist from the SIU were dispatched to the scene. One subject officer and two witness officers from the OPP have been designated.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1957.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342