SIU Investigates Custody Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCI-094
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCI-094
Mississauga (2 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 36-year-old woman in Toronto this weekend.
The SIU learned through media reports that:
• On Friday, March 30, 2012, the woman was involved in an interaction with police during the Occupy Toronto protest.
• She sustained a broken nose and fractured orbital bone.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342