SIU Investigates Custody Injuries in Toronto
Case Number: 12-TCI-094
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-TCI-094
Mississauga (2 April, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by a 36-year-old woman in Toronto this weekend.
The SIU learned through media reports that:
• On Friday, March 30, 2012, the woman was involved in an interaction with police during the Occupy Toronto protest.
• She sustained a broken nose and fractured orbital bone.
The SIU has assigned three investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2314 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2314.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342