SIU Investigates Shooting Incident in Pickering
Case Number: 12-OFI-204
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OFI-204
Mississauga (16 July, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injuries sustained by a 17-year-old male in Pickering this morning.
The Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• At approximately 7:30 a.m. today, DRPS officers responded to a reported robbery at 1398 Kingston Road in Pickering;
• There was an interaction between the man and DRPS;
• Several shots were fired by police; and the male sustained at least one gunshot wound;
• The man was initially taken to Rouge Valley Health System for treatment and later transferred to Sunnybrook Hospital with life-threatening injuries;
The SIU has assigned five investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone with information or who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1935 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1935.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342