SIU Investigates Motor Vehicle Injuries in Barrie
Case Number: 12-OVI-241
Other News Releases Related to Case 12-OVI-241
Mississauga (22 August, 2012) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained by 44-year-old Albert Wayne Penfield of Innisfil in Barrie yesterday.
The Barrie Police Service contacted the SIU and reported the following:
• On Tuesday, August 21, 2012, at approximately 4:30 p.m., Mr. Penfield was driving his motorcycle;
• In the intersection of Bradford Street and Victoria Street, his motorcycle collided with a police cruiser;
• Mr. Penfield was taken to the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre for treatment of injuries to his head and pelvis. He remains in stable condition, and is scheduled to undergo surgery today.
The SIU has assigned three investigators, one forensic investigator and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1806 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 1806.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342