SIU Investigating Vehicle Death in Markham
Case Number: 13-OVD-089
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OVD-089
Mississauga (8 April, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a fatal collision in Markham this afternoon.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:50 p.m. on Monday, April 8, 2013, a motorcycle was traveling on Major Mackenzie Drive;
• Officers with York Regional Police attempted to stop it;
• At the intersection of McCowan Road and Major Mackenzie Drive, the motorcycle and another civilian vehicle collided;
• The driver of the motorcycle was airlifted to Markham Stouffville Hospital, but later succumbed to his injuries.
The SIU has assigned four investigators, three forensic investigators and a collision reconstructionist to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2293 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 2293.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342