SIU Investigating Shooting Death in Scarborough
Case Number: 13-TFD-108
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-TFD-108
Mississauga (26 April, 2013) --- Ontario's Special Investigations Unit is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting death of a male this afternoon in Scarborough.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 12:45 p.m. on April 26, 2013, Toronto Police Service officers responded to the TD Bank located at 2428 Eglinton Avenue East to deal with a suspicious male;
• At some point, an officer discharged his pistol, fatally striking the man;
• The man, who was vital signs absent at the scene, was transported to the Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre.
The SIU has assigned six investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1886 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1886.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342