SIU Investigating Shooting in Ajax
Case Number: 13-OFD-293
Other News Releases Related to Case 13-OFD-293
Mississauga (2 December, 2013) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury sustained by a 47-year-old man this morning in Ajax.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10 a.m., officers with the Durham Regional Police Service were dispatched to an address on Unsworth Crescent after receiving a disturbance call;
• Officers located a man a short distance away, near Williamson Drive/Westney Road North, and there was an interaction between police and the man. An officer discharged his firearm and the man was struck;
• The man was subsequently taken to the Rouge Valley Ajax and Pickering hospital for treatment, and is being airlifted to St. Michael’s Hospital in Toronto. He is in critical condition.
The SIU has assigned eight investigators and three forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-1988 or 1-800-787-8529 ext. 1988.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342