SIU Investigates Shooting in Red Lake
Case Number: 14-PFI-034
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PFI-034
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the shooting injury of a 23-year-old female last night in Red Lake.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 10:35 p.m. on Saturday, February 8, 2014, OPP officers had responded to a disturbance call to an apartment on Pine Road in Red Lake for a second time;
• The 23-year-old female occupant refused to open the door for the officers;
• Following discussions with the female the apartment door was forced open. An interaction occurred between the female and officers resulting in an officer discharging a firearm. The female was struck and has since been airlifted to a hospital in Winnipeg.
• The wound was not believed to be life threatening.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 1860.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342