SIU Investigates Death of Male in Tamworth
Case Number: 14-PCD-050
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-PCD-050
Mississauga (27 February, 2014) --- Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding the death of a 59-year-old male in Tamworth, Ontario yesterday evening.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 5:20 pm, about 16 kilometres north of Tamworth on Highway 15, an officer with the Ontario Provincial Police located a vehicle apparently connected to a male individual who was wanted by police.
• The officer exited his cruiser and was approaching the vehicle when a gunshot was heard.
• A tactical unit was summoned to the scene and found a man dead in the bushes a short distance away from the vehicle.
• The deceased was a suspect in a string of violent incidents during the day.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident or the events leading up to this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529 extension 9022.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342