SIU Investigating Injuries Sustained by Man in Toronto
Case Number: 14-TVI-125
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-TVI-125
(13 June, 2014) ---
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding serious injuries sustained by an 18-year-old man in Toronto last night.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
• At approximately 8:15 p.m. on Thursday, June 12, 2014, an officer with the Toronto Police Service (TPS) was parked on John Garland Boulevard at the intersection of James Town Crescent (a one-way street).
• The officer saw a vehicle being driven the wrong way on James Town Crescent.
• A short time later, the officer came upon the vehicle which had been involved in a single vehicle collision at St. Dorothy Catholic School.
• A male passenger suffered serious injuries and was taken by ambulance to Sunnybrook Hospital for treatment.
The SIU has assigned four investigators and two forensic investigators to probe the circumstances of this incident. Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the SIU lead investigator at 1-888-227-8125 extension 9039.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Jasbir Dhillon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342