SIU Investigates Collision in Sault Ste. Marie
Case Number: 14-OVI-166
Other News Releases Related to Case 14-OVI-166
Ontario’s Special Investigations Unit (SIU) is probing the circumstances surrounding a vehicle injury sustained by a 26-year-old man in Sault Ste. Marie earlier this week.
Preliminary information indicates the following:
- On July 22, 2014, at approximately 3:20 a.m., officers with the Sault Ste. Marie Police Service (SSMPS) were on patrol in the area of Second Line East and Great Northern Road.
- The officers attempted to investigate a vehicle but it did not stop.
- In the area of Second Line East and Black Road the driver lost control of the vehicle and went into a ditch.
- The 26-year-old driver of the vehicle was arrested and later taken to Sault Area Hospital for treatment of his injury.
The SIU has assigned two investigators and one forensic investigator to probe the circumstances of this incident. As a result of the SIU investigation Second Line East will be completely closed between Great Northern Road and Black Road from 12:00 p.m. to 2:30 p.m. this afternoon. SSMPS officers will be redirecting traffic from the area.
Anyone who may have witnessed this incident is asked to contact the lead investigator at 416-622-2150 or 1-800-787-8529 extension 2150.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342