Timmins Police Service Officer Charged
Case Number: 13-OSA-283
The Director of the Special Investigations Unit (SIU), Tony Loparco, has reasonable grounds to believe that an officer with the Timmins Police Service (TPS) committed criminal offences against three women last year. Director Loparco has caused charges to be laid against the officer.
The SIU was notified of complaints of a sexual nature against the officer which were alleged to have taken place in February, March and July of 2013. Investigations were launched and as a result of the findings, TPS Staff Sergeant David Starcevic is facing the following Criminal Code of Canada charges:
• Two counts of Sexual Assault contrary to section 271; and
• One count of Being Unlawfully in Dwelling-House contrary to section 349(1).
Staff Sergeant Starcevic is required to appear before the Ontario Court of Justice at 38 Pine Street North, Timmins on January 13, 2015. The Justice Prosecutions branch of the Ministry of the Attorney General will have carriage of the prosecution.
As this matter is now before the courts, and in consideration of the fair trial interests of the accused and the community, the SIU will make no further comment pertaining to this investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342