Hamilton Police Fatally Shoot Man; SIU Investigating
Case Number: 16-OFD-253
Other News Releases Related to Case 16-OFD-253
- Around 11:00 p.m. on September 30, 2016, Hamilton Police received a call about an assault that happened outside an establishment at the corner of King William Street and Catharine Street North. There were reports that the person who committed the assault was armed with a gun.
- Police attended the intersection to speak to those involved.
- Around the same time, an officer recognized a man who was allegedly involved in the assault. The man was walking in the middle of James Street near the GO Station.
- There was an interaction and the officer discharged his firearm.
- The 36-year-old man was struck. He was rushed to hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342