SIU Lays Charge against Niagara Regional Police Officer
Case Number: 16-OCI-213
- On August 16, 2016, police were dispatched to a drugstore in Niagara Falls to investigate a complaint of assault.
- A police officer located a man behind a business on Thorold Stone Road and placed him under arrest.
- There was an interaction between the man and the officer which resulted in serious injuries to the man.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342